There will be 27 million people traveling by car this Memorial Day weekend and with summer approaching I thought it might be a good time to give out some car care tips. These will also save on fuel economy.
1. Check the air pressure in your tires. Under inflated tires can not only cause a blowout, they can account for bad fuel economy by up to 3%.
2. Keep your vehicle tuned up. A car that’s not tuned properly can not only break down but can also cause bad fuel economy.
3. Check the fluids and wiper blades. It’s imperative to make sure your oil is changed every 3000 miles to 7500 miles depending on your vehicles owners manual. Also check brake fluid, power steering fluid and coolant level, etc. Make sure wiper blades are new and working. You never know when a thunderstorm might pop up.
4. Be prepared. It doesn’t hurt to have a Flashlight, First Aid Kit and some extra tools just in case. Jumper cables and some extra water could also come in handy.
5. Junk in the Trunk. I know some of you might like a little junk in the trunk but every 50 lbs takes 1% off of your fuel economy.
6. Make sure your spare tire is inflated properly and ready to use. It’s hell to be in the middle of nowhere without a spare tire. You can also buy a tire pump for as little as $10.
It costs less than $1 per month to add emergency road service to your auto insurance policy. Call us today at 702-254-7774 to review your policy and add on the coverage.
Have a great summer and happy motoring!!