Gut reaction for most is to make sure that all of their fingers and toes are still attached and functional…then worry about everyone else, right?!
Some people have never been in an auto accident, and some have been in many, but knowing what to do after an accident can make a huge difference in the long run. This is why having an Insurance Agent is so important! It is my job to guide you and point you in the right direction.
- The first thing to do after an accident is to STOP and STAY CALM!!! Make sure it is safe to exit the vehicle. I know this may sound obvious, but you may be a little disoriented after an accident or in too much of a hurry to make sure that someone else is ok, that you may forget to take the proper safety measures.
- If anyone is injured dial “911” for emergency assistance. Avoid moving an injured person- it may seriously complicate the injury.
- Turn on your hazard lights to warn other drivers and take steps to prevent further damage if necessary. (Setting flares, etc…)
- Notify the police.
- Be Careful what you say! Don’t assume fault or admit responsibility. Let your insurance company complete their investigation, it may show that you were not responsible.
- Never discuss your insurance limits! This a conversation to have with me, your Agent.
- Call your AGENT!! Let them guide you and advise you on the next step. This is why you have an agent, our job is to help you through things like this and help you make the best decisions possible.
Remember, it’s not the end of the world! Accidents happen, that’s why they call them ACCIDENTS!